OK fine. Interesting.
What can the U.S. Army bring to the Pacific?
1. Training. The Army Special Forces, Rangers and Engineers should be used to perform continuous training (at an increased rate) with our Pacific Allies.
2. Provide 1 airborne brigade on alert, ready to deploy by C-17s from the U.S. within 48 hours.
3. Have 2 Stryker Brigades train for operations in the Philippines. Deploy pre-positioned equipment to the Philippines for these Brigades.
4. Provide 1 Stryker brigade to deploy to the Philippines within 1 week via military airlift and the civilian reserve air fleet. It would meet up with its pre-positioned equipment.
5. Provide (active,reserve,guard) support units to deploy to the Pacific within 1 week.
These assets should deploy in exercises once a year.
This capability would provide a demonstration of U.S. commitment, which is what any Pacific Rim strategy should be all about.