A secret chapter from the Australian government's 2009 defense white paper detailed a plan to fight a war with China, in which the navy's submarines would help blockade its trade routes, and raised the prospect of China firing missiles at targets in Australia in retaliation.
A new book 'The Kingdom and the Quarry: China, Australia, Fear and Greed' reveals how Force 2030 set out in the white paper -- to include 12 big conventional submarines with missiles, revolutionary Joint Strike Fighters, air warfare destroyers and giant landing ships -- was being prepared for a possible war with Australia's main trading partner.
Then there is this childish behaviour.
Too bad such a dream of grandeur depends on an Entrenched Defence Bureaucracy (EDB). The following are a few examples (in no particular order) of the serious cancer with those in the EDB that use the uniform for personal or industry gain:
1. Has too many perk-hungry flag ranks and senior executives to feed.
2. Has 22,000 civilians to support such a small military.
3. Can't run a test program for parade boots before ordering them; and what they select is defective.
4. Is unable to logistically support the M-113 to a reasonable level.
5. Can't sustain 6 submarines, but is sure they want 12.
6. Is well on the way to turning the fighter-jet community into a very expensive flying club that won't be able to face emerging threats.
7. Doesn't have a clue what a Caribou replacement is but is confident they want to spend $1.4B on 10 light cargo aircraft.
8. Can't do bread and butter sustainment of ships without them rusting out.
9. Thinks an "Air Warfare Destroyer" is survivable and sustainable.
10.Thinks the Canberra-class amphibious ships are sustainable.
11.Helped retire the F-111 on a lie.
12.A Helicopter road-map that is a me$$.
13.Left the country with no air-to-air refueling assets for years.
14.Thinks the F-35 Joint Strike Failure has value.
15.Makes up stories in hearings to elected officials.
16.Misleads the news media.
17.Cries about $5B in Defence cuts when a more efficient organisation could provide much more combat power with $5B less...per YEAR..
18.Thinks the Defence White Paper of 2009 has value.
19.Thinks the Afghanistan mission has value (cheerleads for it) yet has little understanding of 4th-generation warfare.
20.Fails to give Defence Ministers sound advice and instead leads them on a string for the sake of careerism and Entrenched Defence Bureaucracy self-interest.
21.Fails to use the funds generously provided by the taxpayer in a sound manner.
22.Through these multiple failures (and more) provides Australia with a weak Defence posture.